Have I mentioned I love my job?
My team at work aims to meet in person 3-4 times a year so we can discuss our goals and policy changes for the next quarter/year, share and learn in person, and just generally to hang out and get to know each other better, rather than just through our typed text.
Last week we met in Puerto Rico! I’ve never been south, and was a little hesitant to do so, but I really loved it! I didn’t think I was a sit in the sun, lounge in the hot tub, drink fruity rum drinks kinda gal, but as it turns out, I am!
Highlights of the trip:
- watching meteor shower from hot tub in the middle of the night.
- Kayaking in the dark to a bay with luminescent water (#).
- Fruity rum drinks.
- Starting my birthday in a hot tub.
- My fabulous coworkers.
Thoughts of Puerto Rico
- Except for the resort, quite urban. 3.7 million people live on the island!
- “Island time” is a slow, carefree way of life. Service was slow, and many menus warned of this ahead of time. Meals often took 2-3 hours.
- Plantains are amazing. Especially as mofongo or fried as chips used in a plate of nachos.
- Warm, humid, but not “too hot” (at least not in December).
- Everyone on the planes claps when you land in San Juan, and when you leave San Juan and land at your destination.
- Impossible to dry swim suit and wet clothes (too humid).
- Didn’t see much wildlife – just the iguanas and mystery lizards around the hotel grounds. Saw a field with cows in it on the way to San Juan. Lots of palm trees and bamboo.
Thoughts of where we stayed
- Stayed at the Wyndam Garden in the Playas del Mar resort (an hour from the San Juan airport).
- Carefree, lots of different answers to questions from staff, pool closing rules were never enforced.
- Had a cold shower every day (not by choice).
- Incredible air conditioning in the rooms.
- No access to food/drinks after 11pm or so.
- Great night time noises!
Now, some photos!
I would definitely go back. Great place!